1 December 2018

Flickr archives: 2018


Spiral. A close-up of an art piece (Korb I by Uta Majmudar) shot in the Museum Jan van der Togt, Amstelveen. Not a personal favourite, but many positive reactions.


Frozen roofs. The roofs of canal houses reflected in the partially frozen Kampen canal the Burgel. I flipped the image obviously.


Marbelous. A personal favourite, even though it got little response on Flickr. It's a detail shot of a ceramic art piece in the Museum Princessehof Leeuwarden. The resulting image resembles an abstract painting.


Leaves. Likewise, a detail shot of a different ceramic art piece in the Museum Princessehof Leeuwarden. Once more a shot I like a lot, but which did not impress many Flickr friends.


Squares and triangles. Although this is once more a detail shot of a different ceramic art piece in the same museum, the images could hardly be more different. This one got many positive reactions - in fact it looks like something created by Escher.


Firefall. The last in the series of detail shots of different ceramic art pieces. This is my personal favourite and one of my preferred shots of the year. It looks like a lava lake cascading over the rim - hence the title.


Spiraling. Still in the same museum, a well-composed variation on the standard spiralling staircase shot.


Glass reflections. My favourite of a series of shots that I took of the way the gardens of the Kröller-Müller Museum in Otterloo reflected in the polished glass surface of an art piece inside. All shots in the series left little impression on Flickr, but I like this painterly impression.


Artistic piping. A detail shot of a modern art sculpture (Cubic construction by Andre Volten) in the gardens of the same museum. I like the diagonal composition and the way the pipes point in different directions.


Artistic piping 2. A different approach to the same piece. Personally I have a slight preference for the previous version, but this one gathered more faves on Flickr.


Richteresque. I wanted to take a close-up of the colourful plumage of this chicken in the childrens' farm in Kampen, as an abstract shot. Of course, it moved just at the wrong moment, Still, I like the colours, and the blur reminds me of art works by Gerhard Richter......


Krabbe redux 1. A bit of an experiment. When we visited the exhibition of paintings by Jasper Krabbe in the Fundatie Museum (Zwolle), I took a series of five abstracts by zooming in on small parts (10% or so) of the paintings. I like all five, and as they are different (and come from different paintings), I include them all.


Krabbe redux 2. See for the description above, at the first of the series.


Krabbe redux 3. See for the description above, at the first of the series. This one stands out because the original art work is a mixed media type.


Krabbe redux 4. See for the description above, at the first of the series. My personal favourite of the five.


Krabbe redux 5. See for the description above, at the first of the series. Finally, this is the croed's favourite of the five.


Psychedelic. In August and September we made a couple of trips to The Hague in preparation of our Shanghai holiday, and used the time to explore a number of museums. Most impressive was the Municipal Museum, which recently changed name to Art Museum The Hague. This abstract shot is the detail of a chair designed by Richard Hutton.


Bowled over. A ceramic art piece exhibited in the same museum. I flipped the image to get a different feeling.


Trippier. I took two shots of this stair case in the museum with its psychedelic decoration, and called then Trippy and Trippier. This one got the most faves.


Curvy. The same chair designed by Richard Hutton, shot from a different angle. I prefer the first one, but this got more faves.


Bent. Still in the same museum: a detail of a large art installation (I did not note name or artist). The resulting abstraction works even better when converted to black and white, as shown here.


Led there be light. Not a personal favourite, but rather to my surprise it collected lots of faves . It is a close-up of a light in a bar in Meppel where we drank coffee. And that's not a typo in the title.


Planet X. This is the type of abstract that one can encounter dozens of times in my photostream, but given the many positive reactions and faves, I decided to include it in the overview of 2018. It's a close-up of a rusty surface.


Love of my life. In contrast, shots of my wife (and approved by her) were much rarer, so a successful one like this (love the light effect) cannot be passed over.


Who's afraid of yellow and blue? An example how to make something from (almost) nothing. It is a detail shot of a drain cover in the restaurant of the City Museum of The Hague, with some extreme post-processing to enhance the colours substantially.


0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0. Repetition is a strong point in this type of photography, and here there's plenty of it. It is a close-up of a ventilation grid in the City Museum of The Hague.


Geometry. A detail of the colourful wall illustrations used in the City Museum of The Hague. There is of course an optical illusion effect as well, as the eye/brain combination tries to translate this 2D piece into a 3D object.


Penetration. I had good hopes for this abstract - but the results were far better still. Just over a year after my previous shot in Flickr Explore, this one became my 79th to achieve this feat, peaking at #71. Within 2 days after posting, it had gathered over 17000 views and over 280 faves (to give an idea: for an average shot of mine those numbers would be around 50 and 3), making it my best received photograph in 11+ years of being on Flickr. Oh yes, what is it? A detail of an outdoor sculpture by Morgan Betz at the City Museum The Hague.

And so it ends, not with a whisper but with a bang. At least I left Flickr on a high note. This overview stops end October when we started our holiday in Shanghai. Of course, all images from that trip have been posted in this blog, rather than at Flickr.