1 December 2018

Flickr archives: 2007


Excelsior. Actually the first shot where I tried something really different, not realizing that this type of "looking up" shot of an electricity pylon is of course nothing special. Still fond of the memory though.


Cathedral shot. A rather straightforward shot of the famous Cologne cathedral, but one that colelcted many faves months after I posted it.


Distortion. My first photograph to get more positive reactions (uploaded June 2007). Luxaflex reflected in a black dish.


Crossing the sand. A holiday snapshot from Southern France or Northern Spain. I picked this one because the composition is remarkably strong given that at the time I knew nothing about composition whatsoever.


Commuting in the fog. Shot in the morning at the Almere train station. Up to then (August 2007), I had received hardly any reaction on the pictures I put at Flickr, but this changed all that. For over ten years it was my most faved shot.


Abstract 10. This is a detail of a decorative umbrella from a Hamburg shop. I selected this one because this is a first example of abstraction of a type that would become more prominent in later years in my photography.


Abstract 12. A door in Amsterdam ready to be re-painted. Reminded me of works by de Stael. I revisited this shot later pushing the colours in post-processing.


Sunrise. A snapshot taken at the Amsterdam ferry on my way to work. Beautiful pastel tones, and a fascinating contrast between the old ship and the modern building, both silhouetted.


Smooth Jazz. Our beloved cocker spaniel, probably the first time that I applied some post-processing. More importantly, in October 2007, this was the first of my photographs to hit Flickr explore, the 500 most interesting shots of the day, topping out at #302.


Autumn leaves. A shot taken in the park near our home at the time in Almere. The low point of view is a big plus here. A very popular shot, which also made the famous (meanwhile gone) StumbleUpon site.


Citroen. A vintage car parked near our home at that time - beautiful contrast of the metal of the car and the autumn leaves. Another shot that was very popular, even though it did not make Explore.


Electricity. A shot in the park, trying to use the electricity lines as integral part of the image, rather than a disturbing factor.


Last leaf of autumn. Although the composition could be better, I still like this autumn shot (and so did many others). The leaf on our garden table, with the leafless branches reflected in its glass surface, makes for a great combination.


Jazz on the floor. I picked this one because it was one of the first shots where I experimented with an extreme point of view - in this case putting the camera literally on the floor. That he just woke up when I was ready was a big bonus.


China now 3. Photographing art in different ways would become one of my favourite subjects, here is a first rather successful attempt. The work is by Qin Yufen, part of the 2007 China Now art exhibition at the Kobra Museum Amstelveen.


China now 8. Another shot from the same exhibition, this piece is by Wang Guang Yi. A low viewpoint and a daring close crop around the fist, which was both praised and criticized by more experienced photographers at the time.


Winter wonderland 1. In December 2007, the Netherlands was transformed into a veritable winter wonderland when dew covered trees froze over during a cold night. I shot a series around our home at the time.


Winter wonderland 2. From the same series, this was the most popular and featured many times in internet posts about the beauty of winter.