1 December 2018

Flickr archives: 2016


Galactic. Since 2015 was a disappointing year for my photography, I tried something else to get more inspiration: the (in)famous one picture a day challenge - taking and posting a picture every single day of the year, no matter what. This abstract (the top of a small outhouse electricity cabinet in Kampen) was the very first shot and a pretty decent one.


Glacial. The first of my "Cool Art" series, a way to take photographs inside when the weather did not make going outside fun. It is a part of one of my wife's paintings in the aluminium surface of a cooling bag (for later shots I simply used aluminium foil).


Frozen. The flipped reflection of canal houses in Kampen in the frozen Burgel. An eerie image that resonated with a lot of people on Flickr.


Metallic. I quite like this one - detail of a metal rooster for sale as interior decoration in a shop in Kampen.


4 2 Kop. This was just a shot for the links section of my art blog, but so many people faved it that I had to include it here. It's definitely in Kampen and most likely part of an installation for an outdoor concert at the harbour.


Rothkoesque. Not much reaction on Flickr, but this abstract (a rusty hull of a ship moored at the IJssel in Kampen) with its hints of Rothko appeals to me.


Bulby. A plethora of lightbulbs - I had to dig deep in my memory to find out what it is. The Christmas/winter streetlights decoration after they'd been taking down. Surprisingly popular at  Flickr.


Line play. A straightforward abstract: a detail of a tall ship moored at the IJssel near our home.


Ashes to ashes. The first of three examples of "Cool Art" (reflections of my wife's paintings in aluminium foil) that I posted in three consecutive days, all with Bowie song titles (he had died a few weeks earlier). And all among my favourites in the series.


Golden years. The second of three examples of "Cool Art" (reflections of my wife's paintings in aluminium foil) that I posted in three consecutive days, all with Bowie song titles (he had died a few weeks earlier). And all among my favourites in the series.


Life on Mars?  The third of three examples of "Cool Art" (reflections of my wife's paintings in aluminium foil) that I posted in three consecutive days, all with Bowie song titles (he had died a few weeks earlier). And all among my favourites in the series.


Kaleidoscope. Yet another shot in the "Cool Art" series. Funny enough, not one of my favourites, but the one that received most positive feedback.


Assorted chains. Another shot for the links section of my art blog, but the number of faves made me include it here. I can't remember  where this was.


The first. A statue of William I of the Netherlands in The Hague. The viewpoint and the clear blue sky background resulted in many positive reactions.


Hidden. A very unusual shot of Kampen's most beautiful medieval gate, the Broederpoort. It seems hidden behind the fresh greens.


Ring tones. A detail of a cabinet we saw in Kampen, most likely during the 2016 Art Route. Not a big hit, but one I like.


Hang on in there. Just a toy monkey that someone had hung on a line above the Oudestraat in Kampen. It was surprisingly popular though.


The four towers. One of my better reflection shots of the year. It is the famous Kampen bridge, reflected in the IJssel river and flipped upside down.


Museum abstraction. My kind of shot in more ways than one. This is a detail of a staircase of the Fundatie museum in Zwolle. Lots of positive reactions as well.


In her palace. My wife with a winning smile in her gallery. In front of her is one of the silk scarves that were put on the market by the high-end fashion company Shanghai Stories based on her paintings.


Diagonal abstraction. A detail of a ship's hull in Kampen. I think I've done much better within the theme of abstracted wear and tear, but it did get faved a lot.


A touch of Stael. This abstract is also a detail of a ship's hull with a strange paint job. In some ways it reminds me of the abstract paintings of Nicolas de Stael.


Harbour. The Kampen yachts harbour can be quite full in the summer season, leading to a somewhat chaotic but still interesting view. 


Clock tower. A typical flipped puddle reflection, in this case of the New Tower in Kampen. It's been done many times by many people, but still it was popular at Flickr.


Psychedelic. One of my favourite shots of the year. This detail of a a big light installation in a clothes shop in Zwolle. 


Blue streaks. One of the best in the "Cool Art" series in my opinion, even though it did not get much response.


Eruption. Another personal favourite from the series. The strong diagonal in both shots definitely contribute to that. Taken on July 26th, this also marked the end of the "one shot a day" challenge, due to considerable leakage (and damage) in our house caused by a cloudburst later that day.


Windows Vista. A Kampen canal house with the opposite house reflected in it. I like how the inherent symmetry is broken in the reflections in the windows.


Brocante. A beautiful shot taken inside a brocante shop in Nieuwleusen. At least I think so, but it tanked at Flickr.


Saucy. Taken in the same brocante shop. A stunning combination of a sauce boat and a doll's head, that both delighted and frightened people at Flickr. And collected far more faves than the previous one.


Cubes to the sky. A sculpture outside the City Hall of Kampen. The angle chosen is quite effective.


Geometric. Same sculpture, totally different angle. Both did pretty well in terms of faves.


Rolls. The first in a series of shots of large coils in a transport ship moored at the banks of the IJssel, not far from our home. This one turned out to be the most popular of the series, a nice abstraction with a good diagonal composition. The conversion to black and white is almost mandatory in this type of shot.


Going in. Another one that I include based on people's reactions and faves rather than my own opinion. I can't even remember this shot. it is probably a detail of an art piece, possibly in the gardens of the museum in Heino.


Autumn in Kampen. trees in autumnal splendor reflected in the Burgel, and flipped upside down. The pointillistic effect that some thought was caused by shooting through a special glass was actually caused by the wind.


In the mood. A digital mix of ten photographs taken at the Christmas celebrations in nearby Elburg. I'm not crazy about the result, but the reactions were very positive.


Bambi. Well, I'm allowed a sweet shot once in a while. I captured her in a children's zoo near our home.


Balls. Rounding off the year in festive mood. Shot in a garden centre in Zwolle. And plenty of faves.